I feel like Audrey in `Little Shop of Horrors` (“Feed me Seymore”) and have taken to stashing protein bars in my purse and in the glove compartment. Although I`m not a fan of protein bars — they don`t really have a baked-from-scratch sort of flavour.
When I get that dip these cookies are the sort of thing that I crave. They have substance, flavour and a little bit of sweet.
If ever there was a breakfast cookie these are it:
- Loaded with stuff that’s good for you they’re the sort of cookie you could nibble with your morning coffee or have as your mid-morning snack.
- They’re picnic cookies and going-on-a-hike cookies, tasty summer fuel for your body.
- They’re sweet, but not too sweet and have great flavour thanks for the orange zest, cinnamon and chocolate chips (a terrific combo).
- They have bran cereal in them (although you don’t need to tell anyone) and a healthy dose of ground flax and whole grain flour.
Goodness cookies – healthy breakfast cookies
A recipe from my sister, and they really are called “Goodness” cookies.
Makes 24 cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened*
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup Grandma Fancy Molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. grated orange rind
- 1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- ¼ cup ground flax (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup All-Bran-style cereal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or dried fruit (or a combination of the two)
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in molasses, egg and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Blend into creamed mixture.
- Stir in cereal and chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonful on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Thanks for reading.
*Healthy tip from a reader: Reduce the butter to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup applesauce
|Calories per cookie||110.7|
|Total Fat||6.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.1 g|
Other good stuff in each cookie:
Folate 8.6% Daily value
B-12 8.8% DV
B-6 9.6% DV
If you’re a fan of bran you might like our cranberry bran muffins.