These have been called the perfect brownie.
“Fudgy and still a little cake like,” is how they were described.
We all have our definition of ” perfect” when it comes to brownies but I understand the praise. I want a brownie to be fudgy but I don’t want it to have that “uncooked” sort of texture. I also don’t want my brownies to be crumbly.
My ideal brownie, like the person who described hers to me, is somewhere in between.
You’ll love how wonderfully simple these gluten free brownies are to make. My kids can make them. And they devour them no differently than they do regular brownies.
There’s something else, too…
The molasses helps to intensify the chocolate flavour and keeps the brownies moist for days. (Not that they’ll last that long.)
Gluten Free Fudgy Molasses Brownies
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Grandma Fancy Molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar (can be reduced to 2/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-by-8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat, add molasses and let cool until just warm to the touch.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined.
- In a small bowl combine the xanthan gum, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and flour. Add to the chocolate-egg mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (spreading it out and smooth the top). Bake about 30 minutes, until the middle no longer jiggles. Remove to a wire rack and let the brownies cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into 2-inch squares.
If you’re a fan of brownies I bet you’d enjoy our Gluten Free Almond Brownies:
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly email too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.
Here’s to eating well, everyday,