And as far as homemade gifts go it’s pretty spectacular. Glossy and filled to the brim with good stuff, Cranberry Walnut Brittle lets you have the delicious and the nutritious in one sweet bite. Feel free to mix in your favourite nuts and seeds.
I found the original recipe on the food blog Adventures in Cooking. They made it with honey, which I’m sure is delicious too but there is something about molasses that smells and tasts of holiday celebrations and special times spent with family and friends.
Holiday Brittle (Cranberry walnut brittle)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Grandma Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- In a large pot combine the sugars, molasses, water and salt.
- Bring to a gentle boil over low to medium heat, stirring from time to time.
- Using a candy thermometer heat the mixture to 302 F. (On my stove this took close to an hour).
- While the sugar mixture is boiling, place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking pan.
- Lightly grease the parchment paper.
- When the sugar mixture reaches 286 F, quickly remove from heat, stir in the butter and nuts and turn out onto the prepared pan.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread as thinly, and evenly as possible. The mixture will start to seize up immediately so you’ll have to work fast!
- Cool and break into pieces.
For more Holiday gift ideas check out our Holiday Book, a free e-book full of our favourite Holiday recieps.