Sometimes I need variety in my cookie life, a little something different to grab my taste buds and remind me that cookie possibilities are limitless.
That’s what this recipe did for me. Originally I assumed it was a molasses cookie recipe with shredded coconut. But it turned out that they’re made with coconut oil, which I had in my cupboard because lots of healthy stuff has been written about it.
I prefer natural fats like butter, canola oil and now coconut oil. Margarine and shortening make me uncomfortable.
These cookies are full of surprises. The texture is soft and light and the spicing delicious.
Coconut flax molasses cookies
Ever so slightly adapted from the blog mollyalicenests.com
1/2 cup coconut oil*, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Grandma Fancy Molasses
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk, room temperature (can use nut or seed milk)
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder *
1/4 cup sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl combine melted oil, sugar, ground flax, milk, molasses, and vanilla. Mix well.
- (Tip: cold milk will make your coconut oil seize up. Not good).
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and five spice powder) and mix to form a dough.
- Roll dough into balls by the tablespoon and coat in the rolling sugar.
- The dough will feel almost silky so work quickly!
- Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes.
* Look for coconut oil in the natural foods section at your grocery store. It’s solid at room temperature.
* Chinese five spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, licorice root, anise, ginger, cloves, and fennel. (That’s 6 spices, I know, but that’s what’s written on the bottle in my cupboard). If you don’t have any five spice, use a mixture of the spices you do have.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.
We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.