A friend shared this recipe as a family favourite. The original is from Nigella Lawson’s Feast but my adaptation is a little less buxom than Nigella’s original. Of course there is always a time and a place for extra sweet and stickiness but my ideal gingerbread is something that you can grab off the counter to nibble as you’re heading out the door. No worries about dribbles down your front. I also prefer my gingerbread to be just on the edge of sweet. Something you could eat at breakfast without feeling guilty.
The beauty of this gingerbread (and any gingerbread really) is that it can travel from breakfast to dinner with confidence. That’s where you can layer in Nigella’s extravagances. But you don’t need them. A little cinnamon scented whipped cream alongside a warm slice of this bread is after dinner elegance.
Chocolate gingerbread cake
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Grandma Fancy Molasses
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda dissolved in 2 tsp. of warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper or grease and flour it well.
- Melt the butter along with the sugar, molasses and spices. Whisk it well and remove from heat.
- Whisk in the milk, eggs and baking soda-water mixture.
- Add the flour and cocoa and beat.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes to an hour, depending on the texture you prefer. If you’re planning to serve it warm for dessert with a little something alongside or poured over, it could stand to be a little sticky so you could pull it out after 50 minutes. But if you prefer it a little dryer (and if you plan to have some leftover for packing in lunches) then I’d recommend baking it longer.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.