- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1¾ cups milk or light cream
- ¼ cup Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup moist, shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2, 9 inch, cold, baked pie shells
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Cook egg yolk, ¼ cup sugar, salt and milk or cream over hot water, stirring constantly, until custard coats the spoon. After removing from heat, add softened gelatin. Stir in Fancy Molasses. Let the mixture congeal (about as thick as egg white). Make a meringue of the remaining sugar and egg whites. Fold into custard mixture along with coconut and extract.
- Pour in cold, baked pie crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Chill. Serve with whipped cream.