Dark, chewy and flavourful.
That’s how I like my brownies and these blond brownies fit that category perfectly thanks to the cup of chocolate chips added to the batter.
I grew up with cake-like brownies and blondies, which I still love, but there is something a little decadent about a chewy, fudgy brownie. To some they’re simply undercooked but to others they take on a candy-like quality.
My dad was a connoisseur of fudge so I grew up with fudge always being around the house. Dad’s fudge was tucked away in his armoire but he used to share it with us in the evenings when we were getting ready for bed.
Now my kids have taken up the cause. When we’re at markets where fresh fudge is sold they pool their money to buy it in great slabs.
And they love all things fudgy.
It was no surprize when I baked these fudgy gingerbread blondies that they disappeared at an alarming rate. Every time my son passed through the kitchen he grabbed another. I finally had to put the few remaining squares in the basement freezer.
Chewy Gingerbread Blondies
AKA Blond Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup Grandma Fancy Molasses
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the melted butter (slightly cooled) with the brown sugar, egg, molasses and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add flour mixture to butter-sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Spread in prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. of chocolate chips and press them into the batter ever so lightly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until the blondies start to pull away from the edge of the pan. Bake a little longer if you prefer a firmer blondie.
- Cool in pan and cut into squares.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email.
We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.