Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Sausage is a one-pot meal that’s ready when you are.
It’s a relief to arrive home after a busy day with supper pretty much cooked. With just 10 minutes of simple prep in the morning this recipe for slow cooker baked beans has just one easy step remaining before supper is on the table. The beans have all day to cook in their flavourful sauce and then you simply lay the sausage on top to cook and release extra flavour into the bean mixture.
No bean soaking required
I use canned white beans for this recipe to avoid the planning and time required to soak beans from dry and pre-cook them. If you’d prefer to use dried beans in this recipe be sure that they’re fully cooked before you add them to the slow cooker. This recipe calls for just 1 1/2 cups of water which isn’t enough for partially cooked beans.
This recipe is a contemporary riff on old time beans & wieners. It works with all of your favourite sausage flavours. I have made it with garlic and herb sausage, spicy chorizo and a low fat sun dried tomato.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Sausage
- 2 540 ml cans of white beans (white kidney (cannellini) or navy beans)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or Worcestershire Sauce (use gluten-free is necessary)
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ Tbsp. flour
- 4-6 sausage
- Drain and rinse beans. Add onion, carrot and garlic to slow cooker. Scatter over beans.
- In a medium bowl whisk molasses, sugar, mustard, soy sauce, vinegar, salt & water. Pour over beans, cover and cook on medium 6-8 hours.
- Whisk in flour, puncture sausages and lay them on top of the beans. Cover and continue cooking until sausages are cooked through, 30-40 minutes.
- Slice sausage before serving.