I love food that defies cutlery and makes you want to lick your fingers. I mean you could use a knife and fork I suppose but I suggest serving these when you don’t feel obliged. As my mom used to say, “There were fingers before there were spoons.” Amen to that.
This is an adaptation of a rib recipe we found in a Food & Drink magazine (LCBO). Once you’ve tried it you’ll be hooked so you might as well double (or triple) the spice rub. (You want to be ready when the next craving strikes.) You’ll see what I mean…It’s irresistible.
Oven barbecued chicken with spice rub and molasses slather
- 3-4 lbs. of chicken pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- ½ cup Grandma Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Coat chicken with spice mixture and tuck into a parchment paper-lined baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil and place on the middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350 and bake until cooked through (about 45 min) basting often and flipping over, if you like.
- Remove from oven and brush with slather.
- Turn heat up to 425
- Bake another 5 minutes, remove from oven and baste again. Do this for a third time, if you like.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve hot or at room temperature.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.