Some women are crazy about shoes but for me it’s tomatoes. Fresh, local, field-ripened tomatoes. When they’re in season I can’t get enough of them.
I grew up eating this marinated tomato salad at big family parties where the food was laid out on the dining room table and served buffet style. Nestled in among the plates of ham and potato salad this salad was stunningly beautiful and added a welcomed variety to the standard fare.
To add substance nestle slabs of feta or fresh mozzarella in among the tomatoes. Be sure to serve it with crusty bread to sop up all of the dressing.
When summer tomatoes are at their peak this is my favourite way to eat them.
Marinated Tomato Salad
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp fresh herbs (oregano, basil, chives…)
- 2 tsp spice mix (see recipe below)
- 1 tsp Grandma Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt & pepper
- 2 ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ – ½ tsp dried chipotle pepper or cayenne
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Slice the tomatoes and lay them in a dish that’s deep enough to accommodate the marinade without it dribbling over the sides.
- Pour over the marinade and let the flavours blend for a couple of hours. Sprinkle with herbs before serving.
- If you’d like to make this a bit more substantial nestle some slabs of feta in among the tomatoes. Or you can serve grilled feta on the side.
*You’ll have way more marinade than you need so save the extra to use as a salad dressing.
One more thing…
If you’re in search of family-friendly food that’s easy to prepare, healthy and tastes good, then sign up to receive blog posts by email. The sign-up form is on the top right hand side of this page. We’d love to send you our monthly newsletter too. Our Making Life Delicious newsletter includes cooking tips, menu ideas and featured recipes. Here’s the link to our monthly email sign-up form.